SEO Analyst: Everything You Need to Know to Become One
To become an SEO Analyst, you need to take care of search engine optimization activities to help people find the useful and relevant information that they are looking for through search engines like Google or Bing.
Search Engine Optimization Analyst reports to SEO Managers or Digital Marketing Managers.
Search Engine Optimization is one of the ways to drive organic (free) traffic to the website and increase brand visibility to the business through SEO efforts.
How to be a successful SEO Analyst?
You should have the below capabilities apart from having any degree certificate and the basic SEO knowledge (on-page seo, off-page seo, and technical seo) to get into SEO roles.
SEO Analyst role demands you to have a solid understanding of business product(s) or service(s) that you are trying to promote through SEO efforts.
- Keeping an eye on algorithm updates.
- Should finish the SEO tasks assigned on time.
- Observe the SEO trends that are happening regularly.
- Follow the influencers and brands in SEO could help you stay updated.
- You need to try out different SEO methods to find the best suitable strategy for the business.
- You should be staying motivated and a self-reliant person.
- Good to have knowledge on SEO grey and black hat techniques too – It is good to know both good and bad sides of it.
- Able to adapt to T-Shaped learning – One core stream as Search Engine Optimization with knowledge on multiple other digital marketing channels.
- Able to draw clear conclusions on the SEO data gathered.
If you are from IT or Non-IT background, you can become an SEO expert in 2-3 years of time.
Non-IT Students – B. Com, M. Com, MBA, BBA, BBM or any students from non-IT or commerce background of education can get into SEO fresher jobs.
IT Students – BE, M.Tech, M.Sc., B.Sc., MCA, BCA or any students from technical background of education are eligible for applying for SEO roles.
Nonetheless, you can become an SEO specialist or analyst if you have a core passion to pursue the career in Search Engine Optimization.
What are the Responsibilities of SEO Analyst?
The Search Engine Optimizer responsibilities include the following activities.
- Clearly understood why you are doing SEO for the products or services of the business.
- Creating a buyer persona for the SEO Campaigns you create and manage.
- Should be able to do SEO Keyword Research.
- Knowledge on content creation – in some agencies they will have a separate content team to take care of this task.
- Analyzing the content structure.
- Able to apply on-page SEO for the content you have been given.
- Should be able to perform Search Engine Optimization (SEO) audits.
- Should know how to get the relevant backlinks for the content piece.
- Understanding different types of backlinks and value of each one.
- Should know traditional methods like local business listing, social bookmarking, classified submission, blog commenting,
- Ability to know if the traffic is of high quality and know methods to drive the relevant ones to the online business properties.
- Have knowledge on Guest Posting and Email outreach.
- Good to know how to write email pitch for guest posts and content outreach.
- Should have hands-on experience in handling multiple SEO tools.
- You need to know how to take care of technical SEO through Google Search Console or Bing Webmaster tools.
- You will also need to know how to analyze the data through Google Analytics for taking care of technical SEO tasks.
Don’t be overwhelmed with the activities, you need not to perform all the tasks every single day.
However, it is good to have hands-on experience to be a better seo.
If you would like to know in more about these things, do check out introduction to search engine optimization once.
SEO Jobs: Different Roles and Location Specific Job Openings
Let us now look into different SEO roles available in Digital Marketing field.
SEO Analyst/Executive – You can start off with this position as a beginner. Freshers, Job Seekers, and Graduates can aim for this job role.
SEO Specialist – These roles demands a person to have at least 2-3 years of experience.
SEO Lead – You need to have the experience to manage a small team and train them on multiple things that you used to do alone with at least 5-8 years of experience.
SEO Manager – This role involves handling a team of large number with at least 8-10 years of experience.
How many number of jobs available in India for SEO roles?
Let do a quick check in Naukri.
Naukri has around 10,000 seo jobs in India out of which more than 4,000 seo jobs available for freshers.
Here is the detail of job openings from one more source, LinkedIn – A professional social networking platform.
LinkedIn has more than 11,000 seo jobs in india out of which more than 8,000 are fresher seo jobs.
Now let us know how many number of jobs available in different cities of our great country India.
SEO Jobs by Location:
This is a cumulative data gathered from the research done across multiple job portals.
- SEO jobs in Delhi – More than 3000+ jobs available.
- SEO jobs in Bengaluru – More than 2000+ jobs available.
- SEO jobs in Mumbai – More than 600+ jobs available.
- SEO jobs in Chennai – More than 700+ jobs available.
- SEO jobs in Gurgaon – More than 900+ jobs available.
- SEO jobs in Hyderabad – More than 800+ jobs available.
On an average the seo fresher jobs salary ranges from Rs.3, 00, 000 to 6, 00, 000 based on the seo skills, education, and communication skills.
SEO Salary Range For Different Roles
SEO salary ranges from Rs. 3, 00, 000 to Rs. 15, 00, 000 from freshers to 8+ years of experienced seo professionals.
Below is the cumulative statistics of job openings available across multiple job portals seo salary wise in metro cities.
- More than 2500+ jobs are available in seo with a salary range around Rs. 3, 00, 000.
- More than 3500+ jobs are available with seo salary range of Rs. 3, 00, 000 to Rs. 6, 00, 000.
- Around 1500 seo jobs are available with a pay per annum of Rs. 6, 00, 000 to Rs. 10, 00, 000.
- The pay for seo experienced professionals with high package of Rs. 10, 00, 000 to Rs. 15, 00, 000.
According to payscale, the average salary of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) analyst is $49,523 in USA.
Pay by Experience Level for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Analysts:
- The beginner would get a job with a salary range around $40K per year with less than 1 years of experience.
- The experienced professionals would get around $50K per year with an experience around 4 years.
- The managers would get paid around $59K per year with an experience around 9 years.
- The directors would get paid more than $1,50, 000 per year with 10 to 15 years of experience.
The salary hike ranges from 12.7% to the entry level seo marketers, 63.2% for early career, 8.3% for experienced, and 15.8% for midcareer roles.
Kind Suggestion: If you are beginner, focus more on acquiring the necessary skills. Once you master the skills you can then chase for numbers beyond your limit. At least spend 2-3 years of initial career stage on skills and hands-on experience than money.
SEO Skills You Need To Develop
Seo is a dynamic process in digital marketing.
The process involves various little tasks that a seo do on a daily basis to rank the keywords for a website.
Here is a gist of search engine optimization (seo) skills you need to master to become a pro.
- Basics of HTML and CSS – Even though it is optional. But, I would suggest you to get a hang of them. You can learn more about them here from W3Schools.
- Content Management System – You can implement the necessary codes on the website for tracking and measuring your seo activities by knowing how does CMS platform like WordPress works.
- Content Creation and Curation – Most of the agencies would have content team for creating fresh content for the clients.
It is great if a Search Engine Optimizer know how to write and curate the content. It boosts up his profile.
- Data Analysis – Fundamental skill to have as most of the digital marketing efforts including seo is to analyse data thoroughly to optimize the efforts to produce effective results.
You should have the ability to analyze rise and fall of organic traffic, time spent on particular page, unique entrances to the website, acquisition types and sources, and measuring digital marketing goals in alignment with seo performances.
- Technical SEO – Making sure that Google or Related Search Engine you are trying to optimize your website for should read it efficiently.
- Sitemapping and Hierarchy – Following SILO structure of a website and submit the website with required pages and posts for indexing on search engines.
Please read Website Designing using SILO structure for more information.
- SEO Performance Analysis – Auditing the current SEO performance and then and work to improve the results through reporting.
- Backlinks – Generating recommendations from outside of your website for your valuable content and disavowing the not relevant and spamy website links from your website to get optimal results.
- Content Creation and Promotion Planning – A regular weekly or monthly or quarterly plan of action for content creation and promotion would help you stay ahead of the competition.
- Keyword Research Skills – Without this one important skill, SEO will not take its full form.
Keyword Research is the most important skill to acquire before even start working on SEO activities.
Overall it’s about acquiring analytical skills, knowing different areas of seo, vast knowledge about internet and how search works, basics of front-end coding like HTML and CSS, ability to adapt the seo strategies to the changing algorithms, writing proficiency, and passion and curiosity to learn and implement more.
You need to keep updated on the domain and latest strategies to reap a maximum benefits with respect to earnings.
Search Engine Marketing is another part of marketing through search engines but through paid channels like Google Ads from Google and Bing Ads from Bing.
How To Prepare for SEO Interview?
Before you attend the interview for seo, you should know how does the seo process works, how to effectively run the seo campaigns so and so forth.
Remember the below points for seo interview preparation.
- Understand the job description thoroughly before applying for seo job roles.
- Know well why you want this job.
- Ask yourself does your profile match with the job role you are applying for?
- Get to know about the company and their objective of business.
- Know how are they trying to achieve business goals through SEO tactics? Do a bit of research on their seo current work.
- Prepare well for the common personal questions like:
- Tell me about yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this role?
- Your greatest strengths?
- Be mindful of your body language and way of communication.
We have Speak Out course which is a bonus course for Career Launch Blueprint program.
Search Engine Optimization Resumes
SEO Tools You Need To Master
Below are the search engine optimization tools you need to get a good hang of to create and implement seo strategies.
On Page SEO tools – WordPress Plugins like Yoast, Rankmath will do the job for you.
Keyword Research Tools – Ahrefs, Ubersuggest, Google Keyword Planner, Bing Keyword Research Tools.
Technical SEO Tools – Search Console, Bing Webmaster, and Google Analytics.
These are few to mention, in our SEO Growth Formula course we have covered more than 20+ tools to help you get started with SEO and manage the campaigns seamlessly.
SEO Course Online
We have covered all the necessary skills one need to acquire to perform seo audits, seo campaign creation, keyword research, performance analysis and optimization of seo efforts in our SEO Course named SEO Growth Formula which is a part of Digital Marketing Mastermind program by Digital Prajna.
A step-by-step video lessons from building a website to ranking the required keywords on search engine like google has been covered in our level 2 program which comes up with 24 video online courses in total.
Career Launch Blueprint program and Self-Mastery program help one to acquire job skills related to SEO analyst, Specialist, and Managerial roles.
Digital Marketing Growth Hack program is an advanced program for someone who want to acquire clients and start their freelance or entrepreneurial journey using SEO skills.
Liked the content?
Take a minute to share it with your friends whom you care. 🙂
Do let me know if this free guidance on building your career in seo helped you using the comments below.