Table of Contents
- 1 WHAT IS SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING?
- 1.1 What is PPC?
- 1.2 Search Engine Marketing – Basics
- 1.3 How Google Ads Work?
- 1.4 Google Ads Account Setup
- 1.5 Google Ads Campaign Structure
- 1.6 PPC Competitor Research
- 1.7 Google Ad Extensions & their benefits
- 1.8 Finding the profitable PPC Keywords
- 1.9 Google Ads Remarketing List
- 1.10 Google Ads Conversion Tracking
- 1.11 Google Ads Campaign Tracking & Reporting
- 1.12 Google Ads Search Campaign Optimization Strategies
- 1.13 Google Ads and Google Analytics Integration
- 1.14 Google Ads Editor
WHAT IS SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING?
What is Search Engine Marketing? The most talked about skill in digital marketing is Search Engine Marketing or PPC Advertising in general.
Before we move on the topic from the scratch, below series on Google AdWords CTR would help you with campaign optimization for increasing clicks and conversions.
What is PPC?
PPC stands for Pay-Per-Click in Search Engine Marketing. It is one of the module of advertising in search marketing.
To put it in simple words, you as an advertiser has to pay to the advertising platform you are using only when someone clicks on your ad.
Search Engine Marketing – Basics
What is Search Engine Marketing?
According to Wikipedia, “Search engine marketing (SEM) is a form of Internet marketing that involves the promotion of websites by increasing their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) primarily through paid advertising.”
Let us see how many people are searching on Google right now!
Some of the top advertising platforms from Search Engines which allow users to show their Ads on top of their SERPs.
1. Google AdWords from Google
2. Bing Ads from Microsoft
3. Yahoo! Search Ads from Yahoo! (Verizon)
A sudden jump of 22% google revenue in India from AdWords
When we are learning about what is search engine marketing, it is good to know how does it help business growth.
Below are some of the core benefits of making use of Advertising platforms that Search Engine offers are listed below:
- Quick Results – Your ad will be appeared on Google in less than 30 minutes.
- Impressions are absolutely FREE – You pay only for the clicks not for the impressions.
- Strategy Adaptability – You can implement different strategies on the go.
- Easy to launch – You can create a campaign and launch in less than 10 minutes.
- ROI focused – You can set the marketing objective in align with your business objective to achieve a positive ROI.
- Result Driven – You can expect the results in less time.
- A/B Testing – Test and Optimize the campaigns to increase the ROI.
- Ad Types – Variety of methods to promote your business.
- Remarketing – This is the most powerful way to get back your website visitors to sell your products/services.
- Highly Measurable – You can measure your effort, take necessary actions to optimize it better.
- Budget – Complete control over your budget.
- Targeting – Platforms allow you to laser target your audience
How Google Ads Work?
Google Ads – Google uses an auction system to rank the ad that appears on the search results page and to determine the cost each ad click in.
Your Ad Position would be determined by the two main factors:
1. Quality Score and
2. Bid Amount
Quality Score – Determines the relevancy of your ad to the user search query considering the relevancy of the landing page once user clicks on the ad.
Bid Amount – is the amount you are willing to pay to the google for each ad click.
Ad Rank = Quality Score * Bid Amount
Pro Tip: Increase the quality score by creating relevant ad copy, targeting right keywords, and improving the landing page content to make more compelling to the users.
Google Ads Auction
Google Ad Types
Google provides an advertiser multiple option to promote their business through their rich ad types.
Google Search Ads
Google Search Ads help you show your Text Ads on Search Engine, Search Partners, and Publisher websites. Know more!
Google Mobile App Install Ads
Google Video Ads
Google Display Ads
Google Shopping Ads
Google Ads Account Setup
We have got to know what is search engine marketing in the previous sections of the post.
Now let us get started with Google Ads account creation:
- Go to https://adwords.google.com/home/.
- Enter your email address and website details.
- Fill up the details completely.
- Create a sample campaign (You can pause or delete this dummy campaign later).
- Update your Payment details.
Google Ads Campaign Structure
Google Ads Campaign Structure will be structured the way shown in the below image.
AdWords Account – Time zone and Currency can’t be changed once you set here.
Campaign – Campaign will be having set of Ad Groups under it
Ad Groups – Contains relevant ad copies, keywords, and destination or final page URL
Keywords – You target the users by using relevant keywords to achieve the desired results
Ad Copies – Ads that will be displayed once the user search query matches with your keywords added
Landing Page – Final or destination page where user lands on after clicking on your Ad
PPC Competitor Research
Below is the 5 step process you do follow to perform ppc competitor research.
- Search on Google with the seed keywords of your business
- Check the competitor’s Ad Copies
- Check the competitor’s Landing page
- Understand their USP
- User tools such as spyfu, semrush to know your competitors spend and target keywords
PPC Competitor Research Tools
Make use of the below mentioned ppc competitor research tools to come up with a solid strategy for your ppc campaigns.
PPC Landing Page Creation & PPC Campaign Optimization
Follow all the techniques which has illustrated in the website section of this course and create a high quality landing pages using the tools suggested.
- Create an account in instapages/unbounce/leadpages to create a high converting landing page
- Select the template
- Update the information of your business
- Link it with your domain and launch them
PPC Landing Page Tools
Google Ad Extensions & their benefits
Ad Extensions are additional pieces of information that expand your advertisement to make it more useful to users.
Different type of ad extensions and their uses for your business:
- Sitelink – Provide an user to land on different category pages of your website on Ad
- Location – Provide user about your physical location to reach you out physically
- Call – Provide user your business number
- App – Provide user an option to install your mobile app
- Review – Use your customer reviews to build trust with new users
- Callout – Use this to display your business product/service features and USPs
- Structured Snippet – You can add 10 values to show an extra line under the ad
- Price – Used to specify product price only for mobile devices
- Message – Help your users to contact you through SMS
Know more about Ad Extensions.
Finding the profitable PPC Keywords
Follow the below steps to come up with profitable keywords for your campaigns:
- Start by brainstorming to come up with seed keywords
- Insert those seed keywords into the Google Keyword Planner tool
- Spy on competitors on which keywords they are targeting using the tools suggested earlier
- Restrict your ad group with maximum of 20 keywords
- List down the negative keywords during the process of keyword research
- Select a proper targeting option while doing keyword research
- Group the keywords based on the themes to create adgroups
Google Ads Remarketing List
1. Go to settings
2. Choose audience manager from shared library option
3. Create a Remarketing list by selecting Website Visitors
4. Choose an audience name for the list
5. Select the list members from the options available
6. Set the rules the way you want it
7. Include the people from the last 30 days
8. Set the membership duration to 540 days
9. Create audience and save
Google Ads Conversion Tracking
Google Ads Website Conversions Tracking
- Go to settings and select conversion.
- Select Website.
- Give conversion a name.
- Select the right category of conversion :
- View of a key page.
- Assign conversion a value if you want
- Select the count of each conversion
- Set the conversion window to 90 days and View through conversion to 30 days
- Include conversions in your conversions column
- Set the Attribution to last click
Google Ads Mobile App Conversions Tracking
- Go to settings and select conversion.
- Select App Install tracking from the options available.
- Select google play if you have an android app.
- Choose installs.
- Give conversion a name.
- Search for your app with the publisher, package name or with app name.
- Assign a value and check include conversions.
Google Ads Phone Call Conversions Tracking
- Select phone calls from the conversion settings
- Choose how would you want to track your conversions: Calls from Ads or Calls from Website or mobile website
- Give conversion a name
- Assign a value if you want
- Choose how you want to count the calls
- Select the call length
- Set the conversion window to 60 days and check the include conversions option
- Select the attribution model
Google Ads Campaign Tracking & Reporting
Analyzing reports will help you optimize your campaigns better. Below are the 3 ways to generate the report.
1. You can create a report dashboard the way you want the data to be shown in the interface
2. You can make use of the pre-defined reports from the list available
3. Create a report in different formats shown in the below picture.
Google Ads Search Campaign Optimization Strategies
Below are the ways to optimize your search campaigns
- Set the budget which is sufficient enough to run the campaigns throughout the day.
- Increase the bid for the keywords which are not on the first page – Bid Optimization.
- Schedule the campaign based on the data you have.
- Select location targeting properly to cover all the target audiences in your target location.
- Exclude search partners if the niche you have selected is too broad.
- Try to add new relevant keywords and pause the non-performing keywords.
- Improve your landing page for better quality score.
- Write a more compelling ad copies and try to add new ad copies each 15 or 30 days based on the performance.
- Select the right devices to show your ads to the target audience.
- Re-market to bring back users to convert them into customers.
Google Ads and Google Analytics Integration
- Select the Linked Accounts from the setup option in the settings tab
- Select google analytics
- Click on Link
- Select all website data
- Enable auto tagging option
Google Ads Editor
Google AdWords Editor helps you manage your AdWords account offline.
5 benefits of using your AdWords account:
- Make changes offline
- Import and Export the campaigns
- Do bulk changes
- Check and remove duplicate keywords
- Advanced Search
I hope you have got to know from what is search engine marketing to advanced topics on search engine marketing.
If you have any suggestions on the above topics or have some experience and knowledge to share on the above topics.
Kindly do share with us, as most of the other people do get help from your valuable suggestions.
Your comments are highly valued and appreciated. Thanks!
~ Vikram C L